Some guidelines for loving:
1. Tell them about their brilliance. They likely can’t see it and they don’t know its immensity, but you can see it, and you can illuminate it for them.
2. Be authentic, and give others the gift of the real you and a real relationship. Ask your real questions. Share your real beliefs. Go for your real dreams. Tell your truth.
3. Don’t confuse “authenticity” with sharing every complaint, resentment, or petty reaction in the name of “being yourself.” Meditate, write, or do yoga to work through anxiety, resentment, and stress on your own so you don’t hand off those negative moods to everyone around you. Sure, share sadness, honest dilemmas, and fears, but be mindful: don’t pollute.
4. Listen, listen, listen. Don’t listen to determine if you agree or disagree. Listen to get to know what is true for the person in front of you. Get to know an inner landscape that is different from your own, and enjoy the journey. Remember that if, in any conversation, nothing piqued your curiosity and nothing surprised you, you weren’t really listening.
5. Don’t waste your time or energy thinking about how they need to be different. Really. Chuck that whole thing. Their habits are their habits. Their personalities are their personalities. Let them be, and work on what you want to change about you—not what you think would be good to change about them.
6. Remember that you don’t have to understand their choices to respect or accept them.
7. Don’t conflate accepting with being a doormat or betraying yourself. Let them be who they are, entirely. Then, you decide what you need, in light of who they are. Do you need to make a direct request that they change their behavior in some way? Do you need to take care of yourself better? Do you need to set a boundary or to change the relationship? Take care of yourself well, without holding anyone else in contempt.
8. Give of yourself, but never sacrifice or compromise yourself. Stop if resentment is building and retool. Don’t do the martyr thing. It helps no one and nothing.
9. Remember that everyone you encounter was created by divine intelligence and has an important role to play in the universe. Treat them as such.
10. If you want to keep growing emotionally and spiritually for the rest of your life, accept this as your mantra and try to live as if it were true: Everything that I experience from another human being is either love, or a call for love.
- restart-replay likes this
- coldcomfortfarmer likes this
- sohomoithurts likes this
- lasagnacat likes this
- krakene likes this
- takokotakopus reblogged this from smoothandshifty
- phobiacaptain reblogged this from smoothandshifty
- hauntedbunny reblogged this from smoothandshifty
- q2k likes this
- smoothandshifty reblogged this from tabuneko
- tabuneko reblogged this from tabuneko
- dwellthis reblogged this from tabuneko
- rainurbex likes this
- meronsays likes this
- willinglyandjoyfully reblogged this from noteasybeingred
- poupinette likes this
- fuckyeahumw likes this
- haengboksarang reblogged this from fishglass
- fishglass reblogged this from ohapoeticsoul
- thebitterbullshitter reblogged this from fide-et-amore
- victorymanual reblogged this from sleep--naked
- basilvonkrauss reblogged this from thelittlesea and added:
- sohardheaded likes this
- goodgoodbyebye likes this
- seriosity likes this
- alot-of-kiwi reblogged this from skiesofsilver
- alot-of-kiwi likes this
- eliotss likes this
- minseokisnaughty likes this
- skiesofsilver reblogged this from transiency
- patmaabimajnuwn likes this
- blueluminous likes this
- anahatawanderlust reblogged this from 8-moons-of-optimism
- anahatawanderlust likes this
- akhenaten likes this
- holdhishand reblogged this from birdrib
- deadboyslunch likes this
- thirdcirclecalls likes this
- whisperingswan likes this
- turboliftsarchive reblogged this from ohapoeticsoul
- shadow0fadoubt reblogged this from revolutionizethemind
- revolutionizethemind reblogged this from ohapoeticsoul
- milesabovethesea likes this
- fireinmyspine likes this
- calyst3gia reblogged this from grrlsdntpoop
- colleen-powers likes this
- elleninennui likes this